Information technology and innovation are useless if they cannot be adapted for learning, which is why the Flex Reality studio, among other things, is developing A.R. applications for education. We firmly believe that augmented reality will become a popular learning method in schools, universities, colleges and even homeschooled children in the future.
Already, augmented reality in education is being applied and brings concrete results due to three characteristic elements:
The first concept implies the natural introduction of virtual objects into the surrounding space so that they do not seem to be something extra and alien. The actual environment and virtual objects, which are just pieces of code, are displayed simultaneously and in a complex way – this is contextuality.
The second advantage of using augmented reality in education is interactivity. This means that you can interact with virtual objects as if they were real: move, reposition, and even destroy except for the physical sensations of touch, smell, etc. This level is still unattainable for our technologies in the education industry.
The third element is spatiality. Educational AR applications interact with three-dimensional virtual objects with their coordinates in space. The user himself can move freely in space to view the object of augmented reality from different angles and angles.
Augmented reality app development is effective in education because they allow you to visually study and work with devices or objects that are extremely difficult to access in real life. Launch a hadron collider, conduct an experiment with a graphite rheostat, work with a Tesla transformer, prepare a “fire snake” in a chemistry lesson – and all this without the slightest risk to the life and health of students.
The Cost of Developing Augmented Reality Applications for Education
Pricing depends on the following aspects:
- The technical complexity of the idea implementation
- Scope of work
- The number of involved programmers, voice actors, artists, etc.
- Development timeline.
We do not take numbers from the ceiling and always draw up a TOR with the client before starting. The customer describes his vision of the future project, functionality, etc. In general, we sit down at the negotiating table and discuss the related nuances, after which we create a detailed TOR for the FlexReality team.
We consider two payment options:
- Hourly. The cost of developing augmented reality for education, in this case, depends on the number of specialists and their level of qualification. At the stage of formation of the TOR, we also draw up an estimate so that the customer understands what funds will be spent and what.
- For the project. We evaluate the scope of work, negotiate deadlines and form the cost for the entire project. Services are paid in full but can be divide into 5-6 payments.
In both cases, you can follow the development, and we provide detailed reports at all stages of cooperation.
How Augmented Reality Works In Education Industry
The effectiveness of A.R. is due to three features: interactivity, contextuality and spatiality. A visual representation of the object of study and its visualization arouses interest in the child. Live animations that you can fully interact with are more interesting than static pictures and schematics.
An example of the use of augmented reality is the BookvAR AR application, developed by our web studio by order of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. By installing it on a smartphone or tablet, children can point the camera at certain images and get a three-dimensional visualization of experiments in chemistry, physics, astronomy, mathematics and geography. This simplifies the presentation of complex material and makes the lessons more interesting and involved in the process.
We strive to focus on interactivity and chic visuals to increase the effectiveness of education and make this process bright and memorable. There is no better way to addict a child to knowledge than to show that learning is useful and exciting. Leave a request on the site, and we will contact you as soon as possible. We will arrange a meeting or discuss points of interest by phone.
Augmented reality in education: interactivity with the environment
This technology has been used to expand the information of the educational environment in real-time. This is achieved by combining digital information with elements of the student’s environment or with the content used in e-Learning as an educational trigger.
Whether it’s child or adult education, augmented reality incorporates novelty and entertainment into the learning process.
With augmented reality in education, the aim is to “immerse” students in complementary details of a topic through :
- Graphics overlays.
- Three-dimensional images.
- Descriptions that augment student information.
- Explanatory comments or audios.
- Links or hyperlinks.
- Videos are activated when a device’s camera (a tablet or a smartphone) is used, showing the parts of an element or its behavior.
- Games and dynamics where augmented reality in education benefits from the motivating factor of gamification, novelty, and entertainment.
- Augmented reality in education and e-Learning
As part of the technological trends of education 3.0, augmented reality also has applications in e-learning. The use of augmented reality is evidence in virtual environments through:
- Bookmarks are include in the digital educational resource or the virtual classroom space. When activated, they provide extra information or invite the student to act.
- Recreation of historical facts or virtual visits to cultural spaces.
- Enrichment of classes through augmented reality components that allow:
- Observe how a plant grows and how a plant is care for.
- Use paint as an element of fun while learning.
- Facilitate the learning of the composition of the periodic table.
- Collaborative projects where the content design with augmented reality is share with other student community members.
Options to implement augmented reality in education
To implement augmented reality in education, you can use applications such as Layar, Google’s A.R. animals or Chromville Science.
To activate reality in the classroom or e-Learning environments, augmented reality activators and markers place on certain elements or objects are use. Triggers can be include and recognized by:
- Text, either a word or a phrase.
- Identification codes (bars or Q.R.).
- Geolocation data.
- Forms, images or photographs.
- Tangible objects are typical of reality in the classroom or the student’s environment.
A camera and an app are also require to recognize the trigger and display the rich information. These components are already present in technologies such as mobile phones or tablets. Having augmented reality viewers and headphones improve the experience.
Types of augmented reality and combination with other technologies
Augmented reality in education can be used through its different implementations:
- Augmented reality of recognition of an element.
- Based on information overlap.
- Recognizing the environment or based on geolocation.
- Through projection in real-world spaces.
Additionally, it can be combine with other technologies and approaches to develop a more immersive educational experience, among others:
- Virtual reality.
- Mixed reality.
- Internet of Things.
- Artificial intelligence.
- Ubiquitous learning.
- Mobile learning.
- Flipped learning or flipped classroom
Benefits of A.R. in education
Augmented reality in the classroom and e-Learning encourage more participatory learning within the new educational models. The Tecnológico de Monterrey also highlights these benefits of the application of augmented reality in education:
- Encourage and reinforce attention.
- Memorization of content and learning through “lived experiences”.
- Practical experimentation of the theory, simulation of processes, and integration of concepts with their applications.
- Personalization of learning and individualizing the training experience based on the student’s pace or interests.
- Monitoring of learning by recording information on the routes taken by the student and the elements with which he interacts.
As part of the principles of education 3.0, augmented reality is a technology that benefits both students and teachers. This is because it broadens the scope of our human visualization capabilities and promotes understanding by superimposing information added to reality. Augmented reality app development in education promotes self-learning, exploration, innovation, and discovery, making the learning experience a motivating process.