In today’s digital era, mobile applications have become an essential tool for businesses to connect with their customers. IKEA, the world’s largest furniture retailer, has also recognized the potential of mobile apps to enhance the customer experience. The IKEA app is a comprehensive tool that allows users to browse products, create shopping lists, track orders, and even visualize furniture in their own homes using augmented reality. If you are a business owner or entrepreneur interested in building a similar app, you might be wondering about the cost.
In this blog post, we will discuss the factors that affect the cost to build app like IKEA and provide a breakdown of the estimated expenses involved in the development process. By the end of this post, you will have a better idea of what it takes to bring an app like IKEA to life and how much it might cost you.
Factors that Affect the Cost of Building an App Like IKEA
Building an app like IKEA requires careful consideration of various factors that can influence the cost of development. Here are the key factors that can impact the cost of building an app like IKEA:
Features and Functionality:
The number and complexity of features included in an app significantly affect the development cost. An app like IKEA with features like product catalog, shopping list, order tracking, and augmented reality visualization require a significant amount of development time and resources. Adding additional features like social sharing, chatbots, or gamification can further increase the cost.
Design plays a critical role in an app’s success, and it can influence the development cost as well. A well-designed app can increase user engagement, retention, and ultimately, revenue. However, designing an app requires expertise, and it can be costly. The cost of design includes user interface (UI) design, user experience (UX) design, graphic design, animation, and motion design.
The choice of platform (iOS, Android, or both) can affect the development cost. Developing an app for both platforms requires more resources, time, and cost than building an app for a single platform. The cost can also vary depending on the app’s compatibility with various devices and operating system versions.
Integration with Other Systems:
Apps like IKEA may require integration with other systems like e-commerce platforms, payment gateways, or third-party services. Integrating with third-party services like social media platforms, cloud storage, or messaging apps can further increase the cost.
Maintenance and Support:
Maintaining and supporting an app is an ongoing process that requires resources and costs. Regular updates, bug fixes, and security patches are essential for the app’s success and user satisfaction. Thus, maintenance and support costs should also be considered while estimating the cost to build an app like IKEA.
Cost Breakdown of Building an App Like IKEA
To build an app like IKEA, you need to hire a mobile app development company or an in-house team with expertise in mobile app development. The cost of building an app can vary depending on the company’s location, size, and experience. Here is a cost breakdown of building an app like IKEA:
- Backend development: Building the server-side of the app that manages data storage, processing, and communication with the client-side can cost between $25,000 to $50,000.
- Frontend development: Building the client-side of the app that the users interact with can cost between $40,000 to $100,000.
- API integration: Integrating third-party services and APIs like payment gateways, social media platforms, or cloud storage can cost between $10,000 to $25,000.
- Quality assurance and testing: Ensuring the app’s functionality, usability, and performance can cost between $15,000 to $25,000.
- UI/UX design: Designing the app’s user interface and user experience can cost between $20,000 to $50,000.
- Graphic design: Creating graphics, icons, and other visual elements can cost between $10,000 to $25,000.
- Animation and motion design: Adding animations and motion design can cost between $5,000 to $15,000.
Project Management Costs:
- Project manager: Hiring a project manager to oversee the project can cost between $5,000 to $15,000.
- Scrum master: Hiring a scrum master to ensure the development process follows agile methodology can cost between $5,000 to $15,000.
- Other team members: Hiring developers, QA engineers, and other team members can cost between $50,000 to $150,000.
- Infrastructure: The cost of infrastructure, including hosting, servers, and databases, can cost between $10,000 to $25,000.
- Licenses and subscriptions: The cost of software licenses, development tools, and third-party subscriptions can cost between $5,000 to $15,000.
- Marketing and promotion: Promoting the app through various channels like social media, search engines, and app stores can cost between $20,000 to $50,000.
How Much Does It Cost to Build an App Like IKEA?
Cost Estimate for Minimal Viable Product (MVP):
The cost of developing an MVP for an app like IKEA with basic features can range between $100,000 to $150,000. This version will have essential features like product catalogs, shopping cart, payment gateway, basic search, and filter options.
Cost Estimate for a Fully Featured App:
A fully-featured app like IKEA with advanced features like augmented reality, 3D product views, personalization, and social sharing can cost between $300,000 to $500,000 or more. The cost can vary based on the complexity of the features, the number of platforms supported, and the app’s overall scalability.
Cost Comparison to Similar Apps:
When comparing the cost of building an app like IKEA with other similar apps, there are several factors to consider. Here are some cost estimates for other popular furniture and home decor apps:
- Wayfair: The cost of building an app like Wayfair can range between $300,000 to $500,000. The app features include 3D room planning, augmented reality, and personalized recommendations.
- Houzz: The cost of building an app like Houzz can range between $400,000 to $600,000. The app features include 3D room planning, augmented reality, and a marketplace for home services.
- Overstock: The cost of building an app like Overstock can range between $150,000 to $250,000. The app features include product catalogs, shopping cart, and basic search and filter options.
Building an app like IKEA can be a challenging but rewarding endeavor for any business in the furniture and home decor industry. However, it’s essential to carefully plan and budget for the project to ensure its success. By considering the various factors that affect the cost of developing an app, businesses can estimate the overall expense of building an app like IKEA. Additionally, partnering with an experienced mobile app development company and hire Android developers can help ensure the project’s success. While the cost of building an app like IKEA can be high, the investment can pay off in the long run by providing an exceptional user experience and driving revenue for your business.